Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lesson Twelve: When the Going Gets Rough...Get Excited

My dear, sweet girlfriend reminded me some time ago that when times get hard, when all things are without explanation and do not seem to go "your way", THAT is the moment to stop and rejoice.  For it means that something bigger is happening, something glorious is bound to occur...

It has been about three weeks since I last wrote, so I am going to attempt to summarize some of city's lessons that I have learned in these past weeks:


  • Pre-planning meals is very smart.  Otherwise, peanut butter is your best friend.
  • Check the weather before you leave for the day.  This one may seem quite obvious, but wear the appropriate clothing/shoes because there is NO time to go home and change.
  • At-home grocery delivery is actually affordable (and it saves the trip).
  • Yelp.com is an incredible tool for all things New York.
  • Carry your phone charger on you at all times.  Getting stuck with a dead phone is no good.  
  • Talk to people around you.  Get to know their story.  Of course, use wisdom and discrepancy; but people have some amazing things to say.  
  • Look up.  It's so easy to walk with such determination that I forget to set my gaze to high heaven.  Not only are the buildings amazing structures, but there is beautiful blue sky up there.  Soak it up.  (But please don't run into anyone while enjoying the view :-)).


Well, since three weeks ago, I have: gotten my first flu shot (look out subway germs!), auditioned for some pretty neat shows, said "hello" to Hugh Jackman and "hung out" with Jonathan Reid Gealt, gotten boyfriend advice from Kristy Cates, seen the New York City version of "snow", moved in to my new apartment (!), taken a tap class, fallen up some stairs, been newly inspired as my own CEO, seen four of my fellow SoTA alumni, and experienced a dueling pianos show.  I'd say it's been a very blessed three weeks.

I went through about a week long period where I realized that everything in my life had changed.  No longer was I walking the Iwu campus, running into friends left and right.  No longer was I three short hours from home.  No longer would I have classes to attend regularly in a general zone of comfort.  At first, I was unsure of how to react.  My wonderful man shared with me that all these thoughts were perfectly normal, that this new phase of life was forming something deep, intended for my good.

No, I am not the same person that I was three months ago.  I am not the same person I was yesterday, nor two years ago.  What an incredible thought that, despite how we change and morph and assimilate and learn and grow, the Creator never changes.  He never once has changed.  He is immoveable and complete and perfect Providence.  Even if I cannot understand the events or transitions happening all around me, one thing is forever certain, that my Lord ceases to change.

During moments of uncertainly, discouragement, or confusion, another truth is certain: something new is being formed.  Something exciting, real, and true.  This thought really helped me to think through some discouragement I was experiencing.  The Lord intends all things for my good.  He intends all things for your good.  We need only to look up, and expect that He will do immeasurably more than we could ever ask or imagine.  I wonder how my attitude would change if I only thought, "I'm excited for what is next", each time I felt discouraged.  Something to chew on...

Ephesians 3:
 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.


The question is: Do I really, truly, deeply believe God?  Not just "believing in Him", but BELIEVING Him?  Do I know that He can do all things, and more? 


Oh, Lord, I pray for great enlightenment.  Enlighten my heart and mind to Your Truth and Your Word, to discern the great future that you have for me.  Give me the mind of Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment