Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lesson Thirteen: Listen Up

Sounds easy, right?

The most effective means to getting to know a new person is to listen to their story, their heart.  I must ask myself, Have I listened to God's story lately?  Yes, I read the Word often, and I pray.  But what about actually stopping to listen and understand?

Living in this amazing city has taught me that listening takes DILIGENCE.  Jesus tells us that listening and understanding are different than hearing.


Mark 4

 10 When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,
   “‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving,
   and ever hearing but never understanding;
otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’[a]


I hear the announcement for my subway stop, the honking of horns (there is a $350 fine for honking in NYC...), and the many voices in my head reminding me of my to-do list tasks.  Those sounds are not hard to miss.  But the still, small voice of God in the midst of distraction requires more of me.  And His is the most important sound of them all.  So why can I not slow down?

I desire to know what it looks like to come before the God of the universe with an open heart and mind.  Not to come with expectations, or doubt, or a list of rambling wants...just ME.  This is quite a simple thought at its essence, but Lord O Lord, would you instill in me Your restful spirit?  Would you help me to understand You, to know Your heart, and to seek Your will above my own?

How do you seek the Lord's presence?  Under what circumstances do you most clearly hear and understand His voice?  I am thrilled to experience the Lord's work, His voice, and His daily challenges. Thanks, all, for reading and supporting the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment