Monday, August 29, 2011

Lesson Three: Beauty in the Storm

  
We all awaited the impending hurricane Irene on Saturday night, eagerly aching for our day off, but also wondering how she would affect things...

...everyone was safe and sound, as the winds blew around our condos, and the only damage done was to the main power line supplying our homes.  (Yes, we are still without power...showers at Gold's Gym, anyone?)  Yesterday turned out to be the best "last" day off we could have spent as a cast.  It included resting indoors, many naps, and finally, a big New Orleans-style dinner, lit by candlelight.  We surrounded the boys' condo with tealights, used our "flashlight" iPhone application to cook dinner (we lit the stove using a lighter), cooked biscuits on the grill, and spent the evening talking beneath the starts.  A cloud-ridden, wind-struck day turned into a gorgeous, peaceful, star-filled night.  I have never in my life regarded stars so bright.  



So, thank you, Irene, for a Hershey adventure!  I am so blessed for all the incredible moments that have happened in this place...

Spiritually speaking, the Irene storm and the resulting beauty parallel the storms that we encounter in our own lives.  It is amazing how being left without something as simple as power can make a girl stop and count her blessings.  I woke up yesterday thinking, "Oh man, I can't brew coffee..." and instantly stopped myself.  There are children in other countries without education, all because they must spend their time walking miles to find suitable drinking water.  The heat in our water is just diminishing today, but it is a small inconvenience compared to what others must face.  

I think about the small joys that come with storms.  If not for Irene, we would have missed an evening laughing, cooking by iPhone light, and reflecting on the summer.  So many joys have come from these past four months, and I am immensely grateful for every single day.

The beauty of the storms of life lies in the perfect relationship that we have with the Father.  During my time reading the Word, He reminded me that His care for me, for all His children, is PERFECT, without fault, and is full of compassion.  Sometimes, when the storms come, we need only to turn to the God of Comfort.  His presence is unending, surrounds us, and shelters us.  When Jesus resurrected, He said to His disciples, "My peace I give to you...".  We are gifted with immense blessings and perfect peace!  

The next question is, how can I use peanut butter to make meals this week...?  

2 comments:

  1. Pretend like we're back in Belize, eatin' us some PB every day! :)

    Miss you, sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, I actually thought about that today! How much we take food for granted, too...thanks for the sweet memory!

    ReplyDelete