Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lesson Four: Soak It Up, Smell Your Scarf

I will never forget this moment...

It was the first day of school back from Christmas break, some year in elementary, and the big yellow bus pulled up to my driveway and opened its welcoming doors.  For all my bus-riding years, my wonderful, gentle mother would usher me to the end of the drive, wait with me, and encourage me for the day ahead.  This particular day was daunting to a little girl who had just spent the entire holiday with her mom (and family), doing crafts, baking cookies, and Christmas shopping, and celebrating the Savior.  Now, it was time to say a temporary goodbye, which, on this particular day, this little girl could not handle well.  Tears welled in my eyes, and I told my mom I did not want to leave her (for all of six hours, might I add).  She sweetly smiled at me, unwrapped the purple, fuzzy scarf from around her neck, and wrapped it lovingly around mine.  She said something to the affect of, "See, honey, it smells like me.  If you get sad on the bus, just smell my scarf, and know I am right there with you."  I think I still cried that morning, but breathing in the sweet scent of my mommy calmed me down and gave me hope that I would make it through my "very long" day and see her soon.


This gorgeous view is one snapshot of the length of road that I drive every day to work.  While driving on it this morning, I noticed a mother and her son, waiting at the end of their driveway, for the bus.  The memory of Mom's scarf came flooding back to me, and I smiled widely.  What a precious thing, a relationship between a mother and her child...

...on a day when the weather looks like this, I literally roll down my car window, stick my head near the window, and breathe in the immaculately fresh air.  I have been doing this more recently because I am realizing that I am living here, atop this small mountain, amidst these lush trees, in this precious town, for only three more days.  Recognizing that this chapter is winding down is making me all the more aware of the beauty surrounding me...to the point that I would--yes--stick my head out my car window.

These ideas about taking in the scent of people and places that are important to me has caused me, not only to gain a deeper awareness of how completely blessed I am, but to relate it all to the perfect relationship that we have with our Father.  If I think a mother's love is something to cherish, my Heavenly Father must be pretty incredible!  I consider soaking up the fresh air, and taking the memories of Hershey with me, and I realize that my Father's presence goes with me wherever I go.  Just like taking a deep breath of Mom's purple scarf gave me hope for that afternoon, when I would run into her arms, so I consider the Word and know deeply that the God of the universe cares intimately about me.  

Who am I / that the Lord of all the earth / would care to know my name / would care to feel my hurt...(song by Casting Crowns)

So, wherever you are, soak it up.  It's not forever.  Smell your scarf, whatever it may be, and know you are not alone.

[This is for you, Mom.  One of our first memories in Hershey.  I loved making the trip with you!]



1 comment:

  1. Gaaa this made me cry! Sistergirl, I am so very proud of you and miss you so very much!

    ReplyDelete