Thursday, August 25, 2011

Not a lesson, just a thought...


As I was swimming laps this morning, it occurred to me that the physical alignment of the head and neck while doing freestyle is comparable to our daily journeys....

...when I tilt my head up to look slightly ahead of me in the lane, I experience a physical strain on my neck.  It's not comfortable, and I exit the pool feeling tense.

...However, if I choose to gaze straight down at the lap lane, focusing on exactly where I am at that point in time, I swim more efficiently and more ergonomically.

The point: Gazing straight down in the lane is like focusing on the day at hand.  Straining one's head to look ahead is like trying to figure out the future before it happens.

The first is a much better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment