Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lesson Five: As In Childhood, Look Both Ways...

...before crossing the street.  Especially in New York City.

Yes, my dear, sweet boyfriend actually had to stop me from walking out into traffic earlier today.  Why, you ask?  Perhaps my mind was spinning with the overwhelming nature that is the city, or perhaps we all forget the little, simple lessons when our minds are one step ahead of our bodies.  Either way, I'm taking that moment with me as a reminder to never be too old to to remember the lessons of my youth.

Well, I'm officially a New Yorker...actually, we shall don it "New Yorker", since the only credit I have is walking the city for one day.  Regardless, I entered New York City via the Holland Tunnel at 11:00am, my amazing boyfriend driving my fully packed vehicle, excitement and nervousness both brimming within me.  Who knew what would be next?  Would I adjust, and how quickly?  So many questions flew through my mind, most of which I could not even express into words.  New York City, just the sight of it from afar, is incredible, grand, immense, wonderful, intimidating, and full of hope.  I felt an immediate peace upon entering the city, as we swerved eager taxis to navigate my car to Astoria.


Soon enough, we had entered lovely Astoria, and I greeted Bethany, the incredibly generous individual opening up her home to me temporarily (anybody know a lovely lady willing to sublet her apartment to a needy girl?).  From there, the day blazed on (yes, it was 85 degrees and HOT today), I toured some fitness centers, walked the streets, experienced grocery shopping at the Stop n Shop, and applied for more jobs and housing opportunities...

I'm already learning how very, very immense this city is, and how quickly one can feel small!  This morning, the Lord brought an encouraging Word to me that could not be more perfect for today:

The LORD will guide you always. He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. 
Is. 58:11

I am positive that there will be days when this new city, as any new place would, seems like a sun-scorched land.  

But I am full of hope that the Lord will strengthen my frame, and will water me well with His promises to never leave.  Walking with Him, we never fail.  I must remember to hold His hand and look both ways before crossing the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment