Monday, September 12, 2011

Lesson Eight: Questions are an Opportunity for Thankfulness

"And how have things been going since you got here?"

I have been asked this question multiple times now, whether from interviewers, from parents reviewing my babysitting skills, or from friends and family back home.  Although a seemingly simple and "normal" question, this phrase has done far more than stir me to a quick, happy, one-word answer; it has challenged me to truly stop and reflect upon my first week here in New York City, to ask myself, "Kristen, how HAS it been going?"

For the first time yesterday (Sunday), I experienced the conundrum of having to re-route myself via the subway system, as a result of construction happening on certain lines.  This happened on my way to an interview, so naturally, my first reaction was to panic.  I wondered, "Should I take a cab?" and "Should I try to walk the twenty blocks?"  Of course, everything worked itself out, thank the Lord, and I learned that a few good, deep breaths and a silent prayer for peace could ease my spirit, even over something as silly as a late train.  (Oh, and here's a lesson that I learned last night while talking to a parent on the phone, and a VERY good one at that: If the subways are running late, do not take a taxi--they will only make you later.)  


I have had many questions lately about "the next step".  Lord, where do you want me?  WHAT do you want me to do?  Who do you want me to meet?  What is my significance here in the city?  Who, What, Where, When, Why and How?  All of these questions are good ones, but the most important question is Father, what is Your Will for me, and how can I obey You every day?  The answers are not instantly found, not always clear right away, and most certainly, if one is asking the Lord for His will, they can rest assured they will be taking the narrow path.  And the narrow path is not the easiest path, but it is the most fruitful path.

Jesus says in Matthew 7:13-14:
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. 


In asking all of these questions, in spending so much time wondering what the Lord is doing, and in striving to "form" my own path, I forget to overflow with thankfulness.  It's incredible that the Lord commands us to do this--it is an intricate part of being in His Will.  


Colossians 1:11-12
11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you[a] to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.


Colossians 2:6-7
 6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.


1 Thessalonians 5:17-19
17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the Spirit.


Not only does being thankful give us the Father's joy and place us in His Will for our lives, but we also allow the Spirit to live in us more fully ("do not quench the Spirit").  When I humble myself and am thankful, I not only recognize how blessed I am, but the focus turns away from myself and onto the One who formed me.  Why wouldn't I overflow with gratitude all the time?  Good question, Kristen...


So, how has it been going?  Pretty well, thank the Lord.  Let us ask the questions...and then overflow with thankfulness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment