Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lesson Nine: Bring lots of snacks, Deodorant On-The-Go, Band-Aids are your friend

Three simple lessons to begin with:

One.  Bring food.  All the time.  Invest in some ice packs and a nifty lunchbox.  Because unless you have lots of spare change to spend eating out, this is the WAY to go.  Thank you, Hersheypark, for teaching me how to pack one stellar, reliable lunch...

Two.  New York City subways make me sweat.  And not just me.  Everyone.  Therefore, it is vital that one carries a travel-sized deodorant, so as not to offend those around you when the subways get a little too friendly, bringin' in the heat...

Three.  Invest in Band-Aids.  Just as one's body must adjust to all the walking, so one's heels must adjust to the rub-bage of the shoes.  Especially the heels.  Why women must wear things that look so good, but hurt so badly, is beyond me.  I especially enjoy the large, heel-sized Band-Aids.  Take that, heels.

Larger, deeper, more over-reaching lessons I have learned this week...

New York City is a city of image.  Image is everywhere.  In the businesses and their marketing ploys, in the Fashion District and all the posh stores advertising their clothing, even in the audition space.  Image, image, image.  Be the image.  I realized just yesterday that the influence of image was rubbing off on me when I found myself asking, "Is this look "New York"?"  In itself, that is not a bad question.  But in context, it opened my eyes to begin praying for the armor of God to surround me and protect me from any worldly influence that would try to impress a certain image upon me.  Lord, I pray that, instead of being influenced by image, I would be influenced by You, and You alone.  May I ask, "Is this look "Kristen"?  Do I find my image in the Savior who gave me life?"

I find myself getting very easily overwhelmed by everything around me.  There is so much opportunity here, so many options, so much noise, so much energy.  However, opportunity is not a good thing if not given over into the hands of the One who creates it--it becomes a burden, and I experienced this last week, when I began feeling overwhelmed and upset, rather than thankful and energetic.  I love the Biblical expression "sober-mindedness".  I need a sober mind daily here.

Peter loved talking about having a sober mind.

  1. 1 Peter 1:13
    Therefore, with 
    minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.
  2. 1 Peter 4:7
    The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of 
    sober mind so that you may pray.
  3. 1 Peter 5:8
    Be alert and of 
    sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
I think about how alert a person must be in this city: constantly dodging people on the sidewalks, holding closely on to your personal belongings, watching out for cars blowing the red light, etc.  How much more alert must we be in a spiritual sense, when the devil in on the prowl, looking to catch us off guard? This truth makes me want to pray even more intensely about alertness and a steady mind, to hand over my plans to God and allow Him to handle opportunities.  

What a week.  I feel so blessed by opportunity, by friends and family, and yes, by Band-Aids.  Even the simple things remind me of how much God loves me, cares for me, as He loves you and cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment