Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lesson Six: Never Go to Macy's on Labor Day

It's a nuthouse.

Actually, that's more of a tip than a lesson.  I honestly do not think I can accurately relay all the lessons I most likely soaked up yesterday because so much happened (or what seemed like "so much").  Yesterday, I morphed into a human sponge, soaking up multitudes of valuable information, storing away facts and "rules" about how the city grid works, observing people, making to-do lists, and yes, jumping right into memorizing a film script (thank you, Sky!).  It was a marvelous, humbling, yet tiring day, chock full of lessons...

A quick run down: I met Clayton's family at Chelsea Market and had a delicious lunch with some incredible people, whom I'm very grateful for!  The Highline came next--a gorgeous view of the city streets, followed by a venture to Macy's to do an exchange in the shoe department.  I did this all by myself, and to say the least, I could not wait to exit the department store and be on the subway home.  I have never seen a shoe department so full of crazed people, slipping on comfort shoe after comfort shoe (that's another lesson: get comfort shoes...).  I rode the subway home, but accidentally hopped on the wrong subway, only to get off at Times Square and try again (thank you, Clayton for the tip--when lost, navigate to Times Square, and go from there...).  Arriving back in Astoria, I decided to use the rest of the day to finish my sponging duties, soaking up all I had learned from the morning.



[Mosaic wall art in the Times Square subway!  Very beautiful.]

Within the hour, I had a role in a short film!  How this happened, only Sky (and the Lord, of course) knows, but I am so grateful to be working on a project my third day in the city.  That will happen tonight in Hoboken, NJ--I'm playing a news anchor interviewing a New Jersey band on live television.  And now to continue memorizing...

This morning, I opened to Psalm 18, which talks about the Lord's defense over His children when they cry for His help.  It is also a song of praise to our God who protects and provides for us.  Verse 32 says, "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights..."  Amen that we serve a God who is more than willing to enable and empower His children--in fact, He delights in it (verse 19)!

I am preparing to go to my very first interview in the city in an hour, and I could not be more thankful or more excited.  Thank you, God, that you actively fight for those who love you with their whole hearts.  Purify us, makes us more like you, humble us to see that all we have is Yours alone.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment