Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lesson Seven: Loud City; Still, Small Voice

What a week!

Today is officially called "Kristen Hit a Wall" Day.  A very, very good wall.  Yes, this girl who rarely takes naps fell asleep in the middle of the day.  Lesson Seven A: Naps are a gift from God.  Take them if you need them!

I am finally learning how to navigate through the subway system, change stops, and get to my destinations with time to spare.  Actually, I find great satisfaction in arriving safely and successfully at my intended location--it's like a game.  Okay, I need to find 317 Madison Ave...which stops shall I take to get there?....hmmm.  Love it.  I can also say that I'm morphing into a "subway girl" because I'm comfortable enough to bring a novel ("The Help"--so good) without being scared I'll miss my stop, AND I tend to nod off when I'm really tired.  I used to think, Wow those subway riders all look really exhausted.  Now I'm ONE OF THEM...

Lesson Seven B: Don't be afraid to tell the tired-looking lady with the stroller that her precious infant is adorable.  It will make her day :-).

I am now two interviews down, filmed a scene on my second day here, and am feeling so blessed to have two homes while I search for my own.  The Lord has poured out blessings upon me this week, reminding me never to worry, for He always provides and protects.  I met with a gorgeous girlfriend of mine today, and she reminded me that, despite all the hustle and bustle around us, we are here to listen intently for the Lord's still, small voice (thank you, also, to Francine Rivers, an amazing novelist who wrote about precisely this in her book "A Voice in the Wind").  Yes, we are actors.  We need to work and make money.  We need to pay the rent and eat.  All of this is true.  But these actions, filling up our time, trying to become "an actor", is not who we are.  I have an identity in my Father that far surpasses any identity I could obtain from being cast in a play.  So much of my time here already has been spent trying, striving to be productive, to make something happen.  Lesson Seven C: It is not my plan or my will.  


In the midst of the honking horns, the street vendors' yells, the loud trucks, and the lights and commotion, one thing remains...the Lord's still, small voice.  His Spirit is here to guide me, and His Spirit wants to fill you and guide you, no matter where you are.  New York City is a urban dwelling full of achievement; it is also bursting with the Spirit's fulfilling nature, that rests all over us.  I just need to stop and listen...

Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment